A long, summer weekend of fun and friends and new connections!
June 16-19, 2022
Our new summer camp (and your future) is So Bright!
You will need shades!
Camp So Bright is our new summer camp sponsored by the Spina Bifida Association of Iowa for individuals with Spina Bifida and their families. We invite you to join us for a long weekend of fun and making lifelong connections!
June 16-19, 2022 at Camp Courageous, Monticello, Iowa
Thursday, June 16 at 5 – 7 p.m: Welcome to Camp
Friday and Saturday, June 17-18: Fun activities / groups
Sunday, June 19 at 12 noon: Farewell to camp
What is Camp So Bright?
A fun summer camp like all summer camps but dedicated to those with Spina Bifida. Camp facilities and activities are accessible! Families are invited to attend together.
Who can attend?
- Kids with SB and their families. At least one adult must attend with children 2-17. Siblings welcomed.
- Adults with SB and their caregivers/family members. Special program/retreat for adults with Spina Bifida. Adults can register individually or if you are bringing a caregiver, please register as a family.
- Young adults with SB over 18 may attend without their family members, but must be able to manage their needs as independently as possible. Special accommodations can be made by request on your application.
What is planned?
Fun camp activities: swimming, canoeing, rock climbing walls, zip line, train rides, escape room, nature activities hiking, tree climbing, archery frisbee golf, arts and crafts, outdoor cooking, outdoor sleeping? (are you brave enough?), outdoor picnic, themed activities and
Programs: Group activities for mom, dads, siblings, kids and adults.
What are the sleeping and bathroom arrangements?
Sleeping facilities include large and small rooms with single beds. Families can stay together or break up into age groups, gender, accessibility needs etc. You can request sleeping arrangements in your application and accommodations will be made as available.
Arrangements will be made based on number of applications and requests, and suited to your needs as much as possible! Please be patient with us as we plan our first year of Camp So Bright and try to make it the best experience possible for all!
About Camp Courageous
Camp Courageous, is our host camp facility for Camp So Bright! Just outside of Monticello, Iowa, it is a year-round respite care and recreational facility for individuals of all ages with disabilities.
Camp Courageous spans 400 acres of land and 33 buildings and serves nearly 10,000 individuals with special needs on an annual basis. Camp facilities are both modern and rustic, wooded and open, secluded yet accessible, and beautiful!
All attendees’ registration fees are covered by scholarships provided by SBAIA thanks to the generous support of doors. (Regular registration fee would be $420 per person)
Registration includes accommodations and all meals.
A deposit of $100 per family (up to 5 people) or $50 per adult individual is required to hold your spot. This is non-refundable and considered a donation to support Camp So Bright and keep it sustainable!
No family or individual will be turned away due to the inability to pay. Scholarships are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Register
1. Pre-register HERE. Complete a short pre-registration form. No deposit due yet.
2. After pre-registering you will receive a private link to a comprehensive application form from Camp Courageous and must submit your deposit with your application.
3. Complete registration and deposit must be received by Camp Courageous by end of day Sunday, May 15.
We look forward to a wonderful camp experience with you at our first ever camp – Camp So Bright!
Please be patient with us as we plan our first year of Camp So Bright and try to make it the best experience possible for all!
For questions or more information call or write the SBAIA at
Thank you to our generous sponsors of Camp So Bright 2022!