GAP: Grant Assistance Program
The Grant Assistance Program of the Spina Bifida Association of Iowa is a financial assistance program for individuals and families affected by Spina Bifida. The program is aligned with the mission of SBAIA to help create a better, brighter future for you and your family. It is designed to provide needed resources, support personal development, and to encourage you to initiate programs or events in your community.
Our goal is to help build a better and brighter future by:
• Filling gaps in resources needed for living successfully with Spina Bifida
• Supporting opportunities for growth and development (eg; take a class)
• Funding an individual’s commitment to better health and independence
• Helping build community support with events or programs in your area
• Increasing volunteer resources and funding for Spina Bifida-related initiatives
We want to see grants that support inclusion, vibrancy, health and self-sufficiency. The SBAIA also strives to assist people with Spina Bifida build community and supports leadership opportunities.
What can grants be used for?
- Unreimbursed medical expenses related to care of spina bifida and related conditions
- Travel to medical appointments out of your region
- Health and wellness programs related to improving your life with spina bifida
- Organization of an event in your community for people with spina bifida to connect and raise awareness (for example, holiday parties, educational program).
- Home adaptations
- Programs that you want to set up in your local area, speakers or webinars
- Other? If you need assistance let us know.
Grants are limited to $500 for any one individual or immediate family per calendar year. Exceptions to this limitation may be made in cases of extreme need, if funds are available.
The number of grants available are dependent on the success of the SBAIA in meeting its fundraising goals, as well as the number of applications received and approved.
Applicants must be from Iowa (or bordering communities) and affiliated with the Spina Bifida Association of Iowa.
Documentation must be provided on the program, service or item to be secured.
If the grant requested is for a medical expense, proof must be provided that the expense is not covered by private insurance, Medicaid, Medicare and/or an appeal has been denied.
GAP is not intended for camp or college scholarships. A separate application is available for those programs.
1. Fill out online application completely.
2. Include necessary documentation:
a. For example a letter from medical professional stating need
b. Proof of cost – invoice or quote
3. Email application and attached information to:
4. SBAIA staff or committee member may contact you if additional information is needed.
5. Application is presented to the committee.
6. Committee reviews application within 4 weeks.
7. Designated staff or committee member contacts family or individual.
Click here to complete GAP Application Form