New in 2021!
GAP: Grant Assistance Program
The Grant Assistance Program of the Spina Bifida Association of Iowa is a financial assistance program for individuals and families affected by Spina Bifida. The program is aligned with the mission of SBAIA to help create a better, brighter future for you and your family. It is designed to provide needed resources, support personal development, and to encourage you to initiate programs or events in your community.
Grants are available to:
• Fill gaps in resources needed for living successfully with Spina Bifida
• Support opportunities for growth and development (eg; take a class)
• Fund an individual’s commitment to better health and independence
• Help build community support with events or programs in your area
• Increase volunteer resources and funding for Spina Bifida-related initiatives
Grants should support inclusion, vibrancy, health and self-sufficiency. The SBAIA also strives to assist people with Spina Bifida build community and supports leadership opportunities.
Grants are limited to $500 for any one individual or immediate family per calendar year. Exceptions to this limitation may be made in cases of extreme need, if funds are available.
The number of grants available are dependent on the success of the SBAIA in meeting its fundraising goals, as well as the number of applications received and approved.
Applicants must be from Iowa (or bordering communities) and affiliated with the Spina Bifida Association of Iowa.
Documentation must be provided on the program, service or item to be secured. Funds are given to the vendor or service provider (not the applicant) except in emergency circumstances.
If the grant requested is for a medical expense, proof must be provided that the expense is not covered by private insurance, Medicaid, Medicare and/or an appeal has been denied.
GAP is not intended for camp or college scholarships. A separate application is available for those programs.
1. Fill out application completely.
2. Include necessary documentation:
a. For example a letter from medical professional stating need
b. Proof of cost – invoice or quote
3. Email (preferred) or mail application and attached information to:
Spina Bifida Association of Iowa
8525 Douglas Ave Suite 39
Urbandale, IA 50322
4. SBAIA staff or committee member may contact you if additional information is needed.
5. Application is presented to the committee.
6. Committee reviews application within 4 weeks.
7. Designated staff or committee member contacts family or individual.