The SBAIA believes in supporting access to a quality education as a way to assist individuals with Spina Bifida in achieving greater independence and better quality of life.
Scholarships for post-secondary education will be awarded to individuals with Spina Bifida to assist them in their pursuit of a post-high school degree. Funds may be used for tuition, books, room, board and specialized equipment which is required to complete their course of study.
The following guidelines will be used:
- Scholarships granted will be based on financial need, academic record, community service, work history and personal statement.
- Student can apply for up to $500 per semester (no more than two semesters per academic year).
- Requests must be made one month prior to the beginning of the semester to ensure funding is available. Funding cannot be guaranteed for requests made after this time but will be accepted within the first 30 days of the semester.
- Funds will be sent directly to the sponsoring institution in the student’s name.
- The following information must be provided for each scholarship program request:
- Name and address of the institution specifying where to send scholarship funds
- Student ID of the applicant
- One-page personal statement which includes note of financial need; resume; and photograph with permission to be used for promotional purposes. (This information only needs to be provided to SBAIA once.)
Submit your request by printing and completing the Scholarship Program Application and mailing it with the required documents to:
Spina Bifida Association of Iowa
Attn: Scholarship Program
8525 Douglas Avenue, Suite 39
Urbandale, IA 50322